10 miles is a long time to think.
An hour and a half is a long time to be in the company of my own thoughts and my brain goes to a number of places.
I think about my body (is everything is lined up as it should be? are my feet are striking too hard?). I watch the world around me (a cardinal, a smile exchanged with another runner). I compose letters, poems, and, yes, blog posts (in fact, I’ve written, planned to send, and mentally burned a letter all in one run). I listen to music and try not to get caught singing along.
This past Saturday–which thank God was not pouring rain here–I was listening to my playlist and I thought ‘Hey–I wonder if the folks who read my blog would be interested in my playlist!’ (I’ll spare you the letters or the running inner monologue. 😉 )
So below is my 10-minute mile pace playlist. For folks that are interested, I love using jog.fm to construct my lists, since they have songs indexed by pace and bpm.
My 10-minute mile playlist
- Over the Love, Florence + the Machine (The Great Gatsby)
- Can’t Hold Us, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis (The Heist).
- Look at Me Now, Karmin (Karmins Covers).
- Wing$, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis (The Heist).
- Born to be Wild, Steppenwolf (Greatest Hits).
- Freedom, Rage Against the Machine (Rage Against the Machine).
- Bird Flu, M.I.A. (Kala).
- No Light, No Light, Florence + the Machine (Remixes).
- Mon Meilleur Ami, Yelle (Pop Up).
- Mr. Brightside, The Killers (Hot Fuss).
- Run, Gnarls Barkley (The Odd Couple).
- Dog Days Are Over, Florence + the Machine (Lungs).
- Going On, Gnarls Barkley (The Odd Couple).
- Breakin’ a Sweat, Skrillex & the Doors (Bangarang).
- Go Go Gadget Flow, Lupe Fiasco (the Cool).
- Dreams, Passion Pit (Manners).
- Fake Plastic Trees, Radiohead (The Bends). It wears her out, it wears her out.
- Where is My Mind?, Pixies (Surfer Rosa).
- Speeding Cars, Imogen Heap (Goodnight & Go).
- Paranoid Android, Radiohead (OK Computer).
- The Show Goes On, Lupe Fiasco (Lasers).
- Crazy in Love, Emeli Sandé & The Bryan Ferry Orchestra (The Great Gatsby).
- Drumming Song, Florence + the Machine (Lungs).
Since I’m constantly changing up my tunes, hit me up in the comments section with some of your favorite tunes to sweat to.